Latvian Literature Centre is a society established to ensure international recognition of and access to Latvian fiction, poetry, plays and children’s literature.
The Latvian Literature Centre:
- co-ordinates information dissemination on the local and international level;
- acts as a mediator between Latvian authors, publishers and translators on the one side and publishers and other interested actors abroad;
- supports the translation of Latvian literature in foreign languages and its publication abroad;
- initiates and organises projects linked to writing and translation, supports the participation of Latvia in international events;
- takes part in book fairs;
- develops and expands the data base of Latvian authors, translators and Latvian literature in translation;
- publishes informative materials;
- enhances activities on civil society and development co-operation.
- Promotion of translation of Latvian literature
- International cooperation
- Implementation of activities in the field of civil society and development co-operation
The target audience of the LLC are writers, poets, publicists, translators, literary critics, publishers, copyright agents both in Latvia and abroad, governmental and non governmental organizations in Latvia and abroad, as well as readers all over the world.
LLC founded in 2002. Founders/members: Vaira Vīķe-Freiberga, Andris Grīnbergs (Akmentiņš), Liāna Langa (Bokša), Nora Ikstena, Maima Grīnberga-Preisa, Pauls Bankovskis, Pēteris Bankovskis, Pēteris Draguns, Karstens Lomholts, Ieva Lešinska-Geibere, Kārlis Vērdiņš, Latvian Culture Foundation.
Artis Ērglis, Arnis Nīcgalis.
At the moment there are 2 people working for the LLC on regular basis. For certain large scale or specific projects the necessary professionals are employed for a definite period of time.